Not everything that grows in the wild and our gardens is as harmless as it seems. How do you know which garden plants are poisonous, and how do you do if your dog was in contact with a poisonous plant?
10 Poisonous Garden Plants and Symptoms
The lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria Majalis)
This plant is a very popular garden feature, ornamental or potted plant. It belongs to the asparagus family and can reach a height of around 25 cm.
The flowers and fruits are hazardous with dogs, and the rest of the plant is highly toxic. If your pet comes into contact with it, it can lead to dizziness, convulsions, arrhythmia, circulatory collapse and even cardiac arrest. Symptoms can include vomiting and diarrhoea, and you must visit your vet immediately if this plant is eaten.
The Tulip (Tulipa Gesneriana)
This plant belongs to the lily family. The whole plant is poisonous as it contains Tuliposide A and B, as well as Tulipin. These substances irritate the mucous membranes of animals and may cause gastrointestinal irritation or abdominal cramps. If you suspect that your dog has eaten a tulip, you should give them plenty of water to drink and, as a precaution, visit your vet.
The rhododendron is a plant of the heather family and can reach around 120 cm in height. For dogs, the flowers and leaves are highly toxic. If eaten, it can lead to abdominal cramps and diarrhoea or constipation, vomiting, tremors and a weak pulse. Again, it is essential to give the animal lots of water and visit the vet immediately.
This plant is from the family Vervain family. The fruits from a Lantana are especially dangerous for dogs. They can This plant is from the Vervain family, with the fruits being hazardous for dogs, causing vomiting and diarrhoea. As a precaution, animals that have eaten these fruits should visit the vets for a check-up.
Snowdrop (Galanthus Nivalis)
The snowdrop is a type of daffodil that grows to a height of around 35 cm. Especially the bulb of the plant is The snowdrop is a type of daffodil that grows to a height of around 35 cm. The bulb of the plant is poisonous for dogs as it contains alkaloids. The poison causes increased salivation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. If ingested, then give your pet plenty of water and visit the vet as a precaution.
Daffodil or Yellow Narcissus (Narcissus Pseudonarcissus)
Despite its Latin name, this plant does not belong to the daffodil family but the amaryllis. It reaches a height of around 40 cm, and the bulb is incredibly poisonous. Symptoms may include increased production of saliva and irritation to the mouth. The dog may also experience abdominal cramps and pain, which are signs of poisoning. It is recommended that you consult a vet as soon as possible.
The thimble belongs to the plantain plant family. It contains a substance called Digital Glycosides, which is highly toxic to dogs. This substance can lead to circulatory problems and eventually cardiac arrest. If you suspect that your dog has ingested this, then you must consult a veterinarian immediately.
Like the lily of the valley, the hyacinth belongs to the asparagus family. Asparagus plants are generally poisonous for all animals. Again, the flowers and fruits are hazardous as they contain calcium oxalate. This substance irritates the mouth and throat mucous membranes of the dog and can damage them. Contact with this plant will cause nausea and vomiting, as well as abdominal cramps and diarrhoea. You must give your pet plenty of water and consult a veterinarian.
Delphinium (Delphinium Consolida)
This plant is a member of the buttercup family and grows to a height of around 40 cm. The seeds of the delphinium are highly poisonous for dogs as they contain polycyclic diterpene alkaloids. The intake of this substance leads to abdominal cramps with vomiting, increased salivation and restlessness. Obvious signs can range from a stiff gait to muscle twitching and even paralysis, with a slowing respiratory and heart rate. If your pet has eaten a delphinium, then you must see a veterinarian immediately.
Ivy (Hedera Helix)
This well-known plant belongs to the ivy family and can reach up to 50 meters high. All parts of the ivy are highly toxic for dogs as it contains saponins α- and β-hederin. These irritate the mucus membranes and can cause diarrhoea and vomiting, as well as convulsions. It is recommended that you seek the help of a veterinarian immediately if your dog has ingested ivy.
Unsure which plant your dog has eaten?
If you suspect your dog may have been nibbling on a plant that you are unsure of, and your dog is starting to show poisoning symptoms, then it is best to take a sample of the plant with you when visiting the veterinarian. They will be able to identify it and treat any conditions associated with the poisoning from that species.