- 1 10 Poisonous Garden Plants and Symptoms
- 1.1 The lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria Majalis)
- 1.2 The Tulip (Tulipa Gesneriana)
- 1.3 Rhododendron
- 1.4 Lantana (Camara)
- 1.5 Snowdrop (Galanthus Nivalis)
- 1.6 Daffodil or Yellow Narcissus (Narcissus Pseudonarcissus)
- 1.7 Thimble (Digitalis)
- 1.8 Hyacinth (Hyacinthus)
- 1.9 Delphinium (Delphinium Consolida)
- 1.10 Ivy (Hedera Helix)
- 1.11 Tip for Poisonous Garden Plants
Not everything that grows in the wild and in our gardens is as harmless as it seems. Therefore, it begs the questions, which garden plants are poisonous? And how do you know if your dog was in contact with a poisonous plant? Here you will be introduced to ten poisonous plant species from the garden.
10 Poisonous Garden Plants and Symptoms
The lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria Majalis)
This plant is a very popular garden feature, ornamental or potted plant. It belongs to the asparagus family and reaches to a height of around 25 cm. For dogs, from this plant the flowers and fruits are very dangerous with the rest of the plant being highly toxic. If animals come into contact with it, it can lead to various symptoms of intoxication. From dizziness, convulsions to arrhythmia, circulatory collapse and cardiac arrest is also possible. Symptoms can also include vomiting and diarrhoea. It is recommended that you go to a vet immediately.
The Tulip (Tulipa Gesneriana)
This plant belongs to the lily family. It is poisonous in all parts and contains Tuliposide A and B, as well as Tulipin. These substances irritate the mucous membranes of animals. It may cause gastrointestinal irritation or abdominal cramps. If you suspect that your dog has eaten a tulip, you should give them plenty of water to drink and, as a precaution, go to a vet.
The rhododendron is a plant of the heather family and can reach around 120 cm in height. For dogs, the flowers and leaves are highly toxic. If eaten by an animal, it can lead to abdominal cramps and diarrhoea or constipation, vomiting, tremors and a weak pulse. Again, it is important to give the animal lots of water and visit the vet immediately.
This plant is from the family Vervain family. The fruits from a Lantana are especially dangerous for dogs. They can cause vomiting and diarrhoea. As a precaution, animals that have eaten these fruits should visit the vets for a check-up.
Snowdrop (Galanthus Nivalis)
The snowdrop is a type of daffodil that grows to a height of around 35 cm. Especially the bulb of the plant is poisonous for dogs as the snowdrop contains alkaloids. This poison causes increased salivation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. It is recommended to give your pet plenty of water and visit the vet.
Daffodil or Yellow Narcissus (Narcissus Pseudonarcissus)
Despite its Latin name, this plant does not belong to the daffodil family but to the amaryllis. It reaches a height of around 40 cm and the bulb is especially poisonous. Symptoms may include an increased production of saliva and irritation of the mouth. The dog may also experience abdominal cramps and pain which are signs of poisoning by the daffodil. It is recommended to consult a vet as soon as possible.
The thimble belongs to the plantain plant family. It contains a substance called Digital Glycosides, which is toxic to dogs. This substance can lead to circulatory problems and eventually cardiac arrest. If suspected, a veterinarian should be consulted immediately.
Like the lily of the valley, the hyacinth belongs to the asparagus family. Asparagus plants are generally poisonous for animals. Again, the flowers and fruits are very dangerous as they contain calcium oxalate. This substance irritates the mouth and throat mucous membranes of the dog and can damage them. The consequences of contact to this plant are nausea and vomiting, as well as abdominal cramps and diarrhoea. Drinking a lot of water is also most effective and a veterinarian should be visited.
Delphinium (Delphinium Consolida)
This plant is a member of the buttercup family and grows to a height of around 40 cm. The seeds of the delphinium are highly poisonous for dogs as they contain polycyclic diterpene alkaloids. The intake of this substance leads to abdominal cramps with vomiting, increased salivation and restlessness. This can range from stiff gait to muscle twitching to paralysis, with a slowing respiratory and heart rate. If your pet has nibbled on a delphinium, then it is recommended to immediately visit the vet.
Ivy (Hedera Helix)
This well-known plant belongs to the ivy family and can reach up to 50 meters high. All aspects of the ivy is highly toxic for dogs. It contains the toxins saponins α- and β-hederin, which strongly irritate the mucous membranes of the animals. Consumption can cause diarrhoea and vomiting, as well as convulsions. It is recommended to consult a veterinarian immediately if you feel your four-legged friend has been subject to Ivy.
Tip for Poisonous Garden Plants
If you suspect your dog may have nibbled or devoured a plant species, but you are unsure if it poisonous, it is best to take a sample of the plant and take it with you to the vet.